We're married! 我们结婚了!wǒmen jiéhūn le!



On the 23rd of April 2019, I was lucky enough to get married to this smart, beautiful and wonderful girl.



As I boarded that one-way flight in 2015 I had no idea that I would meet someone special, fall head over heels in love, and later get married. I always said to myself that after two years I would leave Chengdu and go on to another city or even a completely different country. That was until I met Peng Yi Ting 彭依婷 - Candy. Someone who, as cheesy as it may sound, completed me. Here was the person who I could share my interests and have adventures with. Someone who could help me overcome whatever difficulties life throws at us. And she really is peng! 



The wedding culture here in China is so different from back home, it’s difficult to get my head around sometimes. But what do I know, I’ve never been married before! As of now, we have our marriage certificate so we are technically married! 


(What an interesting souvenir right?!)

But here in China, it's the big wedding ceremony that matters the most. It's quite common for people in China to get legally married first (apply for their marriage certificate) and then wait months, or sometimes even years to have their wedding ceremony. In Chinese wedding culture, it’s all about face and public spectacle for the two families. One of my colleagues waited a whole 5 years to finally have her ceremony!
Now it’s time to get down to business with planning not one but two wedding ceremonies; one here in China and another back in the U.K.! My wallet is already dreading it!



Here’s to the next step and words can’t describe how happy you make me.