Look what I had (well actually I chose) to eat the other evening; thousand-year-old eggs!
(Looks disgusting right? It's not something I'd jump up and recommend to eat)!
I can't even begin to describe how it tastes, but I can say this; thousand-year-old egg (or century egg as it is sometimes known) doesn't have a foul taste and neither does it smell bad (despite the ageing process taking up to several weeks)!
But don't let this put you off trying authentic Chinese food (the stuff from the local Chinese takeaway down the road doesn't count), Chinese cuisine is delicious, amazing and plays a central role in Chinese society and the national psyche. So much so, that the common greeting phrase my colleagues and students ask me is "你吃了吗? Nǐ chī le ma? Have you eaten?".
So I'd best grab my chopsticks (which, surprisingly, I can use) and go have some dinner. But I won't be choosing thousand-year-old eggs this evening!

